Peanut Butter Cookies Two Ways

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"Are you in the mood to bake?" was the question posed to me last night after dinner.  Well, duh.  The reason for the question?  A request for peanut butter cookies, a staple around here.



Peanut butter cookies are especially great in the fact that they bake up fast, so the wait time for something sweet is fairly minimal.  They also fairly fast to pull together, and the ingredients are always on hand.

So I started mixing up the cookies (I got the recipe awhile back from my Mom - I'm starting to see a trend this week), first putting the sugar, brown sugar, flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl


then whisked them together


from there, I beat in the eggs, peanut butter, milk and shortening


I rolled the dough out into balls and used a fork to press them down slightly (some of them got a crisscross pattern, some didn't) and put them on my extremely well-loved, well-seasoned Pampered Chef stone.  Then I sprinkled them with some sugar


I baked them for 12 minutes, let them cool slightly, the moved them to a rack to finish cooling.


By the time I got to the end of the dough, I didn't have a "full" batch left to put in the oven.  I also was thinking "hmm, what goes well with peanut butter".  Well, pretty much everything.  But chocolate especially.  So for the last few cookies, I chopped up a Heath bar, and added them to the cookies.  I did this two ways.  For half of them, I pressed the chopped toffee onto the top of the cookie.  For the other half, I mixed the candy bar pieces into the dough, then proceeded as with the first batches of cookies.  They turned out like this


Not quite as strong of flavor as I would have hoped for, but they were tasty!

Peanut Butter Cookie recipe:
1 cup shortening
1 cup peanut butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
1 T milk
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda

1) Preheat oven to 350.
2) Whisk together the flour, both sugars, salt and baking soda.
3) Beat in the eggs, milk, peanut butter and shortening until dough pulls together.
4) Roll into small balls and place on baking sheet.  Press down slightly with tines of a fork.  Sprinkle with sugar if desired (you can also roll the balls in sugar prior to placing them on the baking sheet).
5) Bake for 12-14 minutes until cookies start to brown.  Be careful not to over-bake; cookies will continue to cook a little while cooking.

Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Soup's On Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino