Do you have a favorite holiday cookie recipe? Give it a healthy make-over and submit it to EatingWell for their 6th Annual Holiday Cookie Contest. Here are the guidelines:
- Replace as much of the all-purpose flour as possible with other whole grains, such as whole-wheat flour, white whole-wheat flour or oats.
- EatingWell recipes do not use margarine or other partially hydrogenated oils.
- We recommend limiting butter to about 1/2 teaspoon per cookie. You can reduce the amount of saturated fat in the recipe by substituting canola or nut oils for some of the butter in the original recipe.
- Limit salt in recipes to 1/2 teaspoon or less per batch.
- Use all sweeteners (white and brown sugar, honey, etc.) judiciously; less is better.
- Steer away from ingredients containing artificial color or flavor. (Use natural versions whenever possible.)
The grand-prize for the contest is a $2000 shopping spree from cooking.com plus a year's worth of dairy products from Organic Valley (over $700 value). Five runners up each will receive a $200 gift certificate from cooking.com.
You only have until June 4th to submit, so if you're interested, submit your entry here. You can also read all the additional details and fine print here. Good luck!